Monday, May 9, 2016

Week One

William Cox
May 9th, 2016
Senior Project

Week One

This week I learned the importance of time outdoors and time away from technology. I learned that 

fresh air can be the key to a creative mind. Through my time outside, and away from technology, I 

found that I was having much more vivid dreams, this is a sign of creativity coming back, and 

sprouting from the nutritious soil that you can only find in yourself. I believe that seeing nature and 

its mysterious and beautiful creations could help anyone become more creative, no matter what they 

are making or doing. I also have found that technology can keep your creativity from flourishing. 

This is because instead of your mind wandering on its own into the unknown, and creating its own 

ideas, your mind is bombarded with the ideas of other people. Often I find that my own mind 

becomes so overrun with the ideas implanted into my brain that I see videos or video games in my 

dreams. But not in the outdoors. Once I had gotten some fresh air into my lungs, and completed some 

creative writing, I felt good as new. I was dreaming vividly of things I had never imagined before. I 

loved being out in the woods, and I hope to revisit them soon. I will probably spend a lot of time at 

that same campsite over the summer. I also hope to incorporate some part of nature into the final 

product of my senior project. Everything in the woods went similar to how I imaged it would. There

 were a few surprises, like the amount of fisherman that visited the pond every day was astounding. 

Plus when I arrived at the campsite it was a little bit trashed. The funniest surprise I had was a 

woodpecker spying on me. I looked out the window of my tent one day to see a woodpecker staring 

at me from behind a tree. But as soon as he saw me he ducked behind it. He proceeded to annoy me 

with his incredibly fast pecking ability, attacking a tree by the water while I was trying to sleep in the 

morning. Another surprise I had was when my buddies Riley and Logan came to visit the campsite. 

We all sat around the a fire and ate beans and beef stew. It was a grand old time. I believe that this 

visit into the woods was exactly what I needed as far as inspiration goes for my animation. This will 

tee off the rest of my senior project perfectly, and I can't wait to get back to work! 

3 comments:

  1. Your time in the woods sound great. I love the pic of the scenery and your journal. I am eager to see your creative work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's been some interesting reporting of late about the effects of tech -- how reading on line increases one's focus on details, while reading in print increases one's abstract, big-picture thinking. Dreams, the news reports, are crucial for the development of memories. Like you, my experience is that being in nature and away from technology improves my abstract reasoning and intensifies my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great work Will, I am so glad you had this experience!

    ReplyDelete